Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Checking out some social networking sites

With New media, there are a several ways to keep in touch with family, old friends and new friends. However, the only way to do it is when people join a social network such as Facebook, My space, Friendster, Hi5 among others. In these social networks, people can keep track of one another. To me all of them are similar, because they are made for the same reason “to share information and to keep in touch”. Honestly, they don’t differ a lot from each other, except for a few things that I will describe according to my experience with some of them. They differ in the age of the users and their restriction to them, demographically (some people tend to use these social networks depending on which one is used in their countries), and the way people can apply setting to their pages. I think My Space is more involved with teenagers as well as Friendster and Hi5, and they don’t have restrictions in modifying pages. Therefore, a lot of people like that, especially teenagers, because they want to have their own look on their pages that they can be identified with. People can add music, color and themes to their profiles. On the contrary, facebook is more college level; many of the users are college students and professional people. Besides that, Facebook users are unable to change the appearance of their pages, they cannot add music to their profiles and they are more restricted when it comes to privacy. No one is allowed to see anybody’s profile unless they are accepted before by somebody else.
Even though, I have Facebook account, my experience is slightly limited, so I have avoided much direct comparison between it and other social networks. I also have hi5, and tagged but the only reason I have more than one is because sometimes people only have one social networking website. However, I am definitely more active with facebook than with the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment